Summer is when hackers get together to present and discuss malware, vulnerabilities, and exploits. Two big hacker conventions - Black Hat and DEF CON - were held recently, and we discuss some of the Mac-related discoveries. We also look at some interesting news, including certain Macs being banned by the FCC, and answer a listener question about ransomware and files on a Mac.
- Facebook admits to reviewing Messenger app audio with ‘hundreds of contractors’
- The FAA has banned recalled MacBook Pros from all flights — like any other bad battery
- How a 'Null' License Plate Landed One Hacker in Ticket Hell
- Four major dating apps expose precise locations of 10 million users
- The full version of Josh’s 28-minute Objective by the Sea v2.0 talk “Fun with Mac Malware Attribution” is now available to watch online
- HT201222 (Apple's security updates page)
- CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System)
- These Legit-Looking iPhone Lightning Cables Will Hijack Your Computer
- Apple expands its bug bounty, increases maximum payout to $1M
- Patrick Wardle's talk about “Harnessing Weapons of Mac Destruction”
- Hackers Can Turn Everyday Speakers Into Acoustic Cyberweapons
- McDonald's restaurant turns to opera to drive out loitering teenagers
- NCC Group Uncovers Dozens of Vulnerabilities in Six Leading Enterprise Printers
Get 40% off Mac Premium Bundle X9, fully compatible with macOS Mojave, with the code PODCAST19. Download Intego Mac Premium Bundle X9 now at intego.com.